Friday, October 4, 2013

Food on Friday: Apple fig grilled cheese


It's no secret around here that I have a (literally) unhealthy love for grilled cheese sandwiches (you can see evidence here and here).  This time of year, as the weather gets cooler and cooler, something in my primordial self begins to crave more and more calories and fat.  So, when my mom mentioned a delectable sounding grilled cheese she had recently at Boudin Bakery (SF shout-out!!!!!!), I knew I had to find a away to recreate it. 

And, thus, the most delicious grilled cheese in the history of the world was discovered.  

Imagine all the things you love about fall....

 Comfort food?  Check.  Cheese?  Check.  Apples?  Check.  Figs? Check.  This grilled cheese is like autumn wrapped up all neatly between two pieces of grilled bread.  It's so, so good.  And, as our nights dip below the 40-degree mark, it is just what I need to help keep my bones insulated and warm at night. 

Here's how you can taste this deliciousness for yourself: 

Apple fig grilled cheese
makes 1 sandwich

2 slices bread (I used basic wheat, but I have heard Boudin Bakery uses parmesan bread)
1/2 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon fig jam (if you live in Germany, Rewe makes a good one) 
2 slices of aged gouda or cheddar
1 tablespoon of brie
4 or 5 thin slices of apple

Heat skillet over medium heat.  Butter outsides of two slices of bread.  On the inside (non-buttered part), spread jam.  Then layer gouda, brie and apples and cook in skillet until everything melts together and the outside of the bread is golden-brown.  

No comments: