Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Winter walk


On Christmas Eve, the weather in Bavaria was absolutely amazing!  It was quite sunny (for Germany, in winter) and was well above freezing.  It was said to be the warmest Christmas on record, but to me it just felt a little bit like home.  

I took the opportunity to go for a nice, relaxing Christmas walk and was surprised to see that nature was reacting to the high temperatures as if it were spring.  The grass was the most vibrant shade of green I have ever seen, birds were darting back and forth singing the happiest tune and a little bunny was foraging for food in a bush of berries. 

After several busy and often stressful months when I sometimes felt out of sorts, this walk was exactly what I needed.  It brought me back into the moment, filled me with energy and appreciation and was both literally and figuratively a breath of fresh air.  It was a great way to wind down the year. 

One thing I have really learned living in a cold climate is that you should never let the weather keep you trapped indoors.  Having experiences outside, however cold and miserable, is extremely important for one's health and happiness.  Gray skies, a bit of drizzle or big fat snow flakes are no excuse to forgo physical activity and fresh air.  

How do you stay sane in the winter?

The Way of St. James (Jakobsweg) goes all through Germany, including Coburg.  





I fell in love with this mustard-colored moss.  I totally want a bedspread in this color!









No comments: