Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Giving thanks in Germany


Living abroad in Germany has its upsides and downsides and can be both inspiring and discouraging.  But something that is always bittersweet is the holidays.  Thanksgiving is the worst because, while it is one of the most important holidays in the U.S. (the top three are Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving if you ask me), it means absolutely nothing over here.  It's just another Thursday, full of paperwork, phone calls, emails and problems.  Nothing makes you feel farther from home.  

That's why I have made it a point to take off every Thanksgiving that I have been here.  I make the day special and treat it like an important holiday.  I go all out and cook a turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie.  I often even try to find the Macy's parade to watch.  

Doing all this helps but, of course, it doesn't make me miss my family any less.  

I am really happy to be here with Peter this Thanksgiving.  I am thankful that his parents are going to visit us this weekend and that I have my job and my friends.  I feel so blessed to have the ability to take the day off, buy delicious food and sit down and enjoy life.  I have to remind myself of all that.  (And I absolutely will.)  

But, today, I am a little homesick.  I am wishing that I was picking my sister up at the airport and cuddling with my dog in bed tonight.  I am dreaming of waking up tomorrow to my dad's tea kettle whistling at 5 a.m and to my mom talking loudly on the phone at 7.  I am thinking about home.

I hope you are home this Thanksgiving (or are somewhere that certainly feels like it).  Have a wonderful, calming day preparing and enjoy every moment that you get to spend with the people you love.  

Happy almost Thanksgiving! 












No comments: