Friday, October 19, 2012

Food on Friday: apple parsnip soup


I know, I know.  Enough with the soups on here.  But, I just can't seem to help myself.  The air is so crisp.  There are piles of leaves in red, yellow and orange under my feet and they go crunch when I walk through them.  My house smells of Kitchen Spice and nights are hovering around freezing.  What is a girl to do?!?!  Quite frankly, soup is a REQUIREMENT these days!

This apple parsnip soup from Jennifer at the Foodess blog is simply stunning.  There is something fresh and crisp about it, while still being comforting and cozy.  It is, in fact, quite like a cool autumn day.  Peter loves it so much that the first time I made it he told me it was the best thing he had ever eaten.  (The second time I made it he did a strange worm-like dance out of sheer happiness...but that's another story completely.)


I had never even tasted a parsnip before, but now I am dying to try it in other recipes and in other ways.  It's super tasty.  Have you ever made anything with it before?  Let me know what if you have...I am definitely looking for suggestions.  

I served my soup with some cinnamon croutons and some leftover crackers from when Peter was sick this week (also, a whole other story).  Delicious! 



Here's how to make this soup yourself: 


Makes 4 meal-sized servings; 6-8 starter sized servings
  • 4 tbsp butter (60 grams)
  • 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
  • 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
  • 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
  • 1 lb parsnips (4 medium, 450 gram), peeled and chopped
  • 4 cups (1 liter) chicken broth
  • 1/8 tsp (one large pinch) allspice
  • 1/8 tsp (one large pinch) nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup cream (125 ml) (I used half milk and half cream)
  • salt and pepper, to taste
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions and saute until softened but not browned, about 8 minutes.
2. Add potato, apples and parsnips; stir in chicken broth and spices. Increase heat to bring soup to a boil, then reduce back to medium low and simmer, covered, until vegetables and apples are very soft, about 30 minutes.
3. Puree in batches, or using an immersion blender. Stir in cream and season well with salt and pepper.



Lastly, have an absolutely fabulous weekend full of crunchy leaves and steaming bowls of soup. (I will be spending a lot of time outside to take advantage of our last beautiful days.)  Happy Friday! 




No comments: