Friday, September 21, 2012

Food on Friday: Another September breakfast


In honor of the first day of fall tomorrow, I'm bringing you yet another autumn breakfast recipe that takes advantage of the bounty of the season.

I love apples this time of year.  I eat them like crazy and find that they taste so much better than apples during other times of the year.  And, when I know I can get them off of my in-law's tree, they are that much better.  All the apple trees here in Germany are just gorgeous.  They look wild and almost haggard, but produce such beautiful red shiny fruit.  This time of year, I squeal with delight every time I see one.


By far my favorite way to enjoy apples is lightly sweetened and cooked, which just a hint of cinnamon.      This apple, walnut, yogurt and olive oil cake is something I make constantly this time of year and I decided to adapt the cooked apples portion of it for other things, including this easy breakfast treat.

Treat is used loosely, as this is actually rather healthy (minus the touch of butter and sugar).  I had never really heard of bircher muesli (or Müsli in German) before I moved to Europe, but it is quite well known and common here.  Basically, it is oats soaked overnight in milk (of any sort) to make what I would call a kind of raw oatmeal.  It's great because you should make it the night before (be sure to make the apples then, too) and let it sit in the fridge overnight.  That way, when you wake up in the morning, breakfast is already finished.  I make mine in a mason jar and then take it with me on my way to work.  It's a life saver on my earliest mornings.


Here's how to make it:


Bircher Muesli 
See Sarah B's wonderful instructions on how to make bircher muesli on My New Roots .  Make two: one for you and one for a loved one.

Sautéed Apples
1 apple, sliced thinly
1/2 tbsp butter
a pinch sugar
a sprinkle of cinnamon

Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat.  Add sugar.  Mix in the apples and cook for 1-2 minutes on either side.

Together
Top off your bircher muesli with a few apples and enjoy the perfect late summer/early autumn breakfast.  Enjoy with a steaming hot cup of coffee or tea (yay for this time of year)!!!


No comments: