Thursday, June 7, 2012

A few more thrift finds

A funky, bright yellow mirror for above my dresser.

So, happy Thursday!  I know I haven't been posting much this week...it's been an absolutely crazy one (more on that next week) and I haven't had even a minute to spare for most of it.  I'll see you here tomorrow for Food Friday and hopefully posting will be a little more consistent next week.  

I just wanted to share a few more thrifted finds with you today...these are things I have gotten at thrift stores or flea markets in the last few weeks (except for the bird, which I got at more of an antiques store).  Everything was under 5 EURO (again except for the bird), and the wood mirror was an especially fantastic deal at 3 EURO.  

It's amazing what you can find if you look hard enough!  Have you found anything exciting at the thrift store lately?  I'd love to hear your stories! 


Oh, and a few thrift store tips for you: 


-Look around and look hard-- you probably won't see anything good upon first scanning the store.  Spend some time looking under and behind things.  


-Go often-- The more you go, the more likely you are to get the good stuff right when it comes in.  


-If you like it, get it; never hesitate-- Things at a thrift store go in an instant.  If you like it, get it.  It probably isn't expensive anyway.  


-Re-imagine-- Think about what you could change about a piece, how something would look removed from the shop and placed in your house, what it might look like in use, etc.  Sometimes things seem really ugly until you imagine them with a coat of paint.  You can get great furniture with ugly fabric and reupholster it.  Even art that can look scary in store could be a really interesting, funky piece in the right setting. 
A new lamp on the left, with a wood base...I'm totally in love!

Finally, a good picture of the mirror I thrifted before my mom arrived.  Isn't it beautiful?

A vintage little bird bottle opener, made in Germany.

No comments: