Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Gemütlichkeit is: water and a sunset


Last Friday night, Peter and I had a little date night.  It was wonderful and definitely needed, as we had spent the last few weeks constantly going in different directions, working at different times and only meeting up when it was to spend time with friends or relatives.  

We decided to take advantage of the weather and go to a beer garden/bar on the little lake in our neighborhood.  We sat as close to the lake as we could and enjoyed the evening, the beer, the birds chirping and good conversation.  Then, on our walk back, we rented a little row boat just as the sun was sinking behind the trees.


The boat rental only cost 5 Euro for 30 minutes and was by far the best 30 minutes of my entire week.  I love being on the water and the boat ride on Friday evening reminded me of my childhood summers spent on a lake in Michigan--which is still my favorite place in the whole world.  

It made me feel peaceful and energized at the same time.  It was great time to spend with my love just talking and enjoying the whole thing.  And, I am not going to lie, a man looks pretty darn hot when rowing a boat.  Of course, it doesn't hurt to feel just a little like you are in a scene from The Notebook.  Princess time.


Combining water and the sunset is one of the simple pleasures in life.  It costs almost nothing (except perhaps the gas money it takes if you have to drive to a lake or river) but is calming, inspirational and awe-inducing.  Whether it's a boat ride, a picnic or a simple walk, watching the sun set over the water is always good for the soul.  


No comments: