Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Gemütlichkeit is: a summer fire pit


I always have a list of things I want to do before the summer's end.  I think it is my way of making sure that I don't waste away my favorite time of year.  It's more difficult now that I am not a student and work the whole summer through, but I do my best to take care of a few things each week.

Nothing says summer to me more than a backyard bonfire.  It's a fond memory I have from Michigan (more about Michigan coming soon!) and is one of those rare things that is both summery and cozy at the same time.  I love to roast marshmallows and make s'mores (I have a great trick of adding peanut butter or, as my friend Brittany taught me, replacing the chocolate with a Reese's peanut butter cup) and sitting with friends and talking until the last embers go out.

I can't wait to have some bonfires this summer (we had the small one above on an abnormally warm evening in March this year).  Now, I just have to teach these Germans to like s'mores!

No comments: