Monday, February 27, 2012

On slowing down

Lavender in Sardinia last summer.  Surrounded by quiet and nature.  
Today I want to talk to you about a little something that I read about on Holly Becker's blog, Decor8, this week.  Holly writes about a movement called Slow Living, which I had never heard of before (there are some beautiful pictures from Paris accompanying the post, and I highly suggest checking it out).  Have you heard of this movement?

This movement really speaks to me and, I think, encompasses a big part of what this blog is all about.  The idea is basically that we can improve our lifestyle by attempting to slow down, minimize our distractions and simplify our lives.

There is a quote on Wikipedia by Beth Meredith and Eric Storm summarizes the movement:

Slow Living means structuring your life around meaning and fulfillment. Similar to "voluntary simplicity" and "downshifting," it emphasizes a less-is-more approach, focusing on the quality of your life. … Slow Living addresses the desire to lead a more balanced life and to pursue a more holistic sense of well-being in the fullest sense of the word.[1]


I try and apply these concepts to my own life, but it can be really hard to come through with it in the modern world.  It seems to constantly be my intention to live more simply, but I never have the guts to give up all of the things that make my life "complicated" and really make the changes.

Things have been especially complicated and stressful around here lately, making the concept of simple living all the more enticing and out of reach.  I am hoping that life will soon get to a moment where things calm down, but sometimes, it doesn't feel like it is in your control.

My favorite "slow" place: Magician Lake, Michigan.  My heart's home. 
The lake, where I'm content.  
Do you find you are caught between the desire to simplify and not knowing how to?

Do you agree with these ideas?

Do you think they are idealistic?

Do you implement these strategies in your own life?  If so, how?  Are you successful?  I'd love to hear from you!


Just Peter and I on a hike in the woods after Christmas.  

An evening lazing in the garden last summer. 

My favorite evening routine.  

An autumn walk in the park. 
(The pictures here are of moments in my life that have felt peaceful and simple.)

1 comment:

Dana said...

I definitely do feel I'm caught between wanting to simplify and not knowing how to. I feel like I have to put it off until I get out of school, but then I feel like I'll just keep saying "I'll do it after I finish ___" or something like that.