Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Gemütlichkeit is: a warm, hearty breakfast on a cold, cold morning


Nothing is better or cozier than getting out of bed on a freezing cold (or colder) morning and making a big pot of coffee and some oatmeal.  Warm oatmeal keeps you toasty on the inside and sticks with you into the afternoon.  You can throw all of your favorite flavors in there and it's incredibly healthy.  

On this particular morning, the temperatures were well below freezing and we woke up with ice on our windows.  It was difficult to get out of bed.  I knew it was an oatmeal morning right away.  I added a bit of brown sugar and maple syrup, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg (so it tasted almost like pumpkin pie) and put almonds, blueberries and a couple of dried cranberries on top.  Then I poured on a little extra milk.  



A warm meal in the morning is my favorite kind of luxury: it doesn't cost much but it makes my heart happy.  Sharing it with someone you love only makes it better.  I guess I am pretty easy to please.  (Take note, boyfriend...it's almost Valentine's Day...)  



No comments: