Friday, February 17, 2012

Dear Germany...


Some days, you are inspiring.  I hear your church bells or see your old cities walls and I am amazed.  Some days, you thrill me.  I laze in your beer gardens or skip down your cobblestone streets.  I stand in the shadow of a towering cathedral or pass by 500 year old houses on my way to work.  Somedays, I  know that I am right where I am supposed to be; I feel at home.  

But, then, Germany, there are days like today.  Days like today, you get the best of me.  You are cold and exclusive.  You feel nothing like home.  You laugh at me when I trip in a puddle or miss the bus and  you confuse me with your funny language and your complicated ways. Some days, you make me feel like the alien I am. 

Germany, being away from home is not always easy.  I think people who say it is are probably lying.  I am not saying that you are not worth it, because, Germany, you are.  But, somedays, like colicy baby, you leave me with a headache on the verge of tears and cursing myself for ever wanting this.    

Those days, I thank God that you have jelly doughnuts, Germany.  Your jelly doughnuts (Berliners or Krapfen) get me through the tough days, the days when I want to give up.   

Germany, I love you but I don't always like you.  Luckily, I always like jelly doughnuts.  

2 comments:

Mareike said...

"jelly doughnuts"! Funny!

You think it is cold in Bayern? Come to Hamburg! =)

Liebe Grüße

James said...

Lol...Hamburg is on my list of places to visit...maybe I'll just wait until summer ;-). Just saw your blog for the first time! It's great and all your pictures are so cozy. It's always nice to find someone who shares an appreciation for the simple moments.