Monday, October 31, 2011

Colorful autumnal palette

It's officially cozy season here in Germany.  We set our clocks back this weekend, so here it is 5:30 in the afternoon and it's black as night.  Luckily, I have a steaming cup of tea to my right and the flickering flame of a taper candle to my left.  Short days call for extra warmth!

For me, decorating for autumn and winter is all about color.  In summer, I like a lighter, airier feel to my decor.  I love watercolor shades of pink, blue, yellow and orange and red. Of course, pops of color are important in summer, too, but the feeling is more bright garden than moody Victorian.  I use light colored pink and blue candlesticks and throw pillows as the days grow long and bright.  I prefer to keep bright colored fresh flowers in the house and add bright oranges and hot pinks to my art for a very happy feel.  But, as the days grow shorter, colder and the German sky grows grayer, I like to add deep, rich colors to my home to warm it up.  I change out my pillows and candlesticks, I add chunky rusty-colored throws and I light candles everywhere.   We are unfortunately stuck with white renters' walls, so richly colored accents are all I have to transition my space from fresh and breezy summer to warm and cozy winter. 

This year, my color inspiration came from a set of note cards that I bought at Target when I was back home in California in September.  The cards, which feature a large, graphic mum pattern, combine mustard or goldenrod yellow, a light, dark turquoise blue, bright red and moody maroon.  The colors are both modern and vintage--they remind me a bit of the 1970s (very popular this year)--and are absolutely perfect for fall.  The combo is bright and cheery while also being warm and cozy.


I have tried to apply this color scheme to my living room.  I already had some blue and gold but I added even more.  Then I tried to add in red and maroon, formerly colors I have shied away from.  This has worked out quite nicely but, needless to say, I haven't had every wonderful resource at my fingertips.  Oh, if only I did...

So, in an effort to put together my dream room for autumn, I did a little searching and put together an inspiration board, which showcases these beautiful fall colors.  I love all of these pieces individually, but don't you think they would look great all together in a room?  I do!  This is absolutely a room I would just love to curl up in with a good book and a cup of tea. 

All photographs (except center image of note card) from Pinterest.  Unfortunately, I don't know where all of these items come from.  I do know the yellow dresser is from Ikea and I believe the vase with the flower is from Anthro.  The note card, of course, if from Target. 

What are your favorite autumn colors?  Do you find any especially cozy or especially cold?  I am not a fan of pastels in the winter but I know a lot of people like them. What do you think?  Do you like bold colors together or do you try and stick to one family?  How do you warm up cold, white walls? 

No comments: